Harnett County, North Carolina
E-911 Addressing 
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who needs an address?

A. You need an address to apply for permits and establish services. Addresses are necessary for houses, commercial buildings, buildings, construction trailers, meters, cell towers, propane tanks, etc. Displaying the correct address is essential in order to provide E-911 emergency services and is required by the Harnett County Ordinances. If you are unsure of your correct 911 address, please contact the E-911 Addressing Department at (910) 814-2038.

Q. How was my E-911 address determined?

A. Addresses are created by using the 5.28' addressing system. All addresses translate into mileage. For example, if your address is 500 Main St, then you are located a half-mile on the right from the beginning of Main St. All even numbers are on the right side of the road and all odd number addresses are on the left side of the road.

Q. How can I change my street name?

A. You must contact our office to request a Road Name change. This petition must be unanimous among at least 75% of the landowners who own property abutting the road as verified by Harnett County Tax Records. Once the petition is completed it will be voted on by the Harnett County Board of Commissioners. If approved, letters will be sent to notify property owners and/or residents of their new address.

Q. Who can I call to report missing, damaged, or incorrect street signs?

A. Contact Harnett County E-911 Addressing Department at (910) 814-2038. You may also send a message to 911addressing@harnett.org. Please give us the name of the street and the intersecting road name along with your name and telephone number, just in case we have any questions.

Q. What do I need to do to get a new street named?

A. Prior approval is required for all new street names within Harnett County. A new street name must not duplicate or closely resemble the name of an existing street. A road name request form must be completed and mailed or faxed to the Addressing Department. The address and fax are as follows:

E-911 Addressing Department
305 W Cornelius Harnett Blvd Suite 100 Lillington, NC 27546
Fax: (910) 814-8251

Q. What is a private road?

A. A private road is any road, path, or driveway which serves 3 or more addressable structures and is not maintained by a governmental entity or agency through the use of public funds.

If you have any questions that are not answered here, please give us a call.