Parents As Teachers
What Is Parents As Teachers or PAT?
A program of cooperative extension funded by Smart Start and provides guidance, education, and support.
PAT guides families through the phases of parenting and strengthens the parent/child relationship.
PAT educates parents by providing information and suggested activities to encourage growth and development.
PAT supports parental decisions.
What does the current program offer?
• Personalized monthly in-home visits with a Certified Parent Educator which includes developmentally appropriate activities.
• Family education and support for families with children, beginning before birth to age 5.
• Seasonal and informational group meetings.
• Parent support groups.
• Connections with community resources.
• Monthly newsletters and suggested family activities and materials.
Why is the program important to Harnett County?
- The program makes an impact on the families of Harnett County.
- Program staff is able to detect possible developmental delays in children and refer them to appropriate places while the window of opportunity remains open.
- Promote a healthy family structure.
- Increase parent knowledge of child development.
- More positive parent/child interaction and decreased child abuse/neglect in PAT families.
- PAT parents are more involved in their child's school experiences.
How do I contact Harnett County Parents As Teachers?
To reach our office and find out more about what PAT can do for your family call or email us today!
Torrey Fields, Administrative Assistant, (910)814-6050
Melanie Graham, Program Coordinator
Melissa Isenhour, Parent Educator
Shelly Humphrey, Parent Educator
Charmell McLean-Kelly, Parent Educator
Our fax # is (910)893-3195.
The physical address of our office is 126 Alexander Drive, Lillington, NC 27546 and our mailing address is PO Box 1089, Lillington, NC 27546.