Here are some steps a woman can take to get ready for a healthy pregnancy:
· Take a vitamin with 400 micrograms (mcg) folic acid every day.
· Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and street drugs.
· Keep hands clean by washing them often with soap and water to prevent infections.
· See a health care professional regularly. Talk with the healthcare professional about any medical problems (such as obesity, diabetes, seizures, etc.) and medicine use (both prescription and over-the-counter).
· Ask about avoiding any substances at work or at home that might be harmful to a developing baby.
· Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
· Avoid unpasteurized (raw) milk and foods made from it.
· Avoid eating raw or undercooked meat.
· Keep up these healthy habits.
· Get early prenatal care and go to every appointment.
Want to know more?
Ask your healthcare professional or contact the Harnett County Department of Public Health 910-893-7550 on how to plan for a healthy baby.
For more information http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HealthyPregnancy/