HENRY T. ATKINS
The name of Atkins has been identified inseparably with the history of Lillington ever since the close of the War Between the States. In professional life, in business and in official affairs the members of this family have been prominent and their labors and activities have done much to add to the development of the prestige of the county seat of Harnett County. At this time the family is worthily represented by Henry T. Atkins, a member of the mercantile firm of Atkins Brothers, who has been postmaster since 1921, and who also is a member of the town board of commissioners and town treasurer.
Mr. Atkins was born at Lillington, July 11, 1882, and is a son of Dr. James W. and Ella A. (Spears) Atkins. His father, who was a man of splendid education, and a graduate of the Philadelphia Medical College, enlisted in the Confederate Army Medical Corps at the outbreak of the war between the states, and during that struggle was assigned to service as a surgeon at Richmond Hospital. Following the war he settled at Lillington, where he was engaged in the practice of his profession until his death in 1888. He was a man of high standing in his calling and also was prominent in public life, serving two terms as clerk of the court. Mrs. Atkins, who survives her husband as a resident of Lillington, was appointed postmistress by President Harrison and served in that capacity for twenty-four years. She is one of Lillington's best-known and most greatly beloved women.Henry T. Atkins was reared at Lillington, where he was educated primarily, subsequently attending Chapel Hill High School. After his graduation he clerked in the post office for his mother for a number of years and also worked in a mercantile establishment, and in 1910 was appointed to a position in the Census Bureau at Washington, D.C. , where he remained for one and one-half years. On his return to Lillington he engaged in a mercantile business in partnership with his brother, Oscar S. Atkins, under the firm of Atkins Brothers, and this has been developed into one of the leading business enterprises of the community. Mr. Atkins is known as a man of excellent business ability and of high integrity, energetic and astute, and alive to all opportunities. In November, 1921, he was appointed postmaster of Lillington by President Harding, and in November, 1925, was reappointed by President Coolidge for another four-year term. Mr. Atkins also takes an important part in the government of Lillington, being a member of the town board of commissioners and also acting in the capacity of town treasurer. He has discharged his duties in a manner highly satisfactory to his fellow-citizens. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias, in addition to which he holds membership in the Lions Club. He has always been a republican in his political convictions. Religiously he is a Presbyterian, and at present is a member of the Board of Deacons. He is unmarried and resides on Front Street.