DAVID MACKINZIE CLARK, state solicitor of the Fifth Judicial District and ex-mayor of Greenville, was educated both for the civil engineering and law professions, and at one time was city engineer of Greenville. Since 1912 he has practiced law, and has been a prominent figure in his locality and also in connection with the road building program of the state at large.

He was born at Halifax, in Halifax County, North Carolina, September 21, 1886, son of Ed- ward Thorne and Margaret (Lillington) Clark, a grandson of David Clark, and descended from a branch of the Clark family that came from Scotland to North Carolina in Colonial times. David Clark, his grandfather, spent most of his life in Halifax County, was a wealthy planter and slave owner, owning at once time 300 slaves and operating a fleet of steamboats from Halifax County to Norfolk, Virginia. He was commissioned a general of the Home Guard organization during the Civil war. General Clark married Anna Thorne, a native of Halifax County, who died at Raleigh.

Edward Thorne Clark was born in Halifax County in 1853 and has spent his life there, having practiced law for upwards of half a century. He is a brother of the late Chief Justice Walter Clark. His home is at Weldon. For one term he was a member of the State Senate, is a democrat, member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His wife, Margaret Lillington, was born in Yadkin County in 1854 and died at Weldon February 15, 1926. She was a daughter of John Alexander and Betty Williams Lillington, both representing prominent families of North Carolina.  John A. Lillington was a descendant of Gen. Alexander Lillington, who commanded a regiment at the battle of Moore's Creek on February 27, 1776, and was one of the ablest soldiers contributed by North Carolina to the war for independence.  General Lillington was descended from Maj. Alexander Lillington, who is named in the oldest public record in the State of North Carolina, a commission issued in 1669 to him and four others to hold precinct courts in what is now Perquimans County, and who afterwards was virtual governor of North Carolina.  Betty Williams was a daughter of N. L. Williams and a granddaughter of Joseph Williams, who served as a colonel in the War of the Revolution.  The children of Edward Thorne and Margaret (Lillington) Clark were: Alexander Lillington, a lawyer at Roanoke Rapids, in Halifax County; David Mackenzie; Mary, wife of Felix W. Graves, a tobacconist at Washington, North Carolina.

 

David M. Clark during his boyhood attended public school at Weldon, the North Carolina State College for three years, where he prepared for civil engineering, and on leaving that college, December 25, 1906, he was made an engineer on the staff of the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railroad Company for Western North Carolina, serving in that capacity a year and a half. He held a similar position with the Norfolk-Southern Railroad at Greenville for one year, and was then appointed state engineer for the North Carolina College at Greenville, and at the same time acted as county engineer of Pitt County and city engineer of Greenville. He followed the engineering profession until 1910, and during the following year was a student in the law department of Wake Forest College. He was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1911, and has enjoyed a very successful career as a lawyer. His offices are at 113 East Third Street, at Greenville. Besides his home in that city: he owns a farm five miles west of town and other real estate.

Since 1923 Mr. Clark has been president of the North Carolina Municipal Association. He represented Pitt County in the General Assembly in 1913-14, serving in the regular session of 1913 and the special session of 1914, and was again a member of the General Assembly in the session of 1917, resigning- his seat to volunteer for service in the World war.  In the spring of 1918 he was called to active duty with rank as first lieutenant in the chemical warfare division and was at Washington, D. C. an4tin August, 1918, assigned to Camp Sherman with the First Gas Regiment, remaining there until his honorable discharge on, December 24, 1918. While a member of the Legislature in 1913 he introduced and secured the passage of the bill permitting townships and counties to issue bonds for the improvement of .roads without special consent of the Legislature, and he was also author of the "State's Aid Road Bill," passed in the session of 1917.  He was elected mayor of Greenville in June, 1919, beginning his first term July 1st, and was elected in 1921, 1923 and 1925. As mayor of this progressive city he continued his deep interest in improved highways, and Greenville carried out a complete program of municipal improvements, including street paving, enlargement of water and light plants, establishment of a modern fire department and an efficient police department. In the meantime Greenville's population increased from 5,000 to 10,000.  In the primaries of 1926 Mr. Clark was nominated for the office of solicitor of the Fifth Judicial District of North Carolina and subsequently elected and qualified on January 1, 1927.  

He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, belongs to Tar River Lodge No. 93, Knights of Pythias, at Greenville, and to the social order D. O. K. K., is a member of Lacoochee Tribe No. 35, Improved Order of Red Men, the Greenville Rotary Club, and is a former member of the