for over a quarter of a century has been in the drug business at Red Springs, and from there his financial and man- aging interest has been extended to several other prosperous drug companies, so that he probably has a larger share in the retail drug business of this section of North Carolina than any other individual. Mr. Grantham is also a banker, and his career has been an eminently successful one.
He was born at Smithfield in Johnson County, son of Mike K. and Carrie (Bridges) Grantham. His father enlisted from Johnson County with a company for service in the Confederate army, and after the war was a farmer in that county. He died in 1888, at the age of fifty-eight. He was born in Wake County, North Carolina. His wife, who died in 1915, at the age of seventy-five, was born in Johnson County, of Scotch- Irish ancestry, descended from a family that settled in Wayne County about 1790. Mike K. and Carrie (Bridges) Grantham were the parents of thirteen children and the eleven now living are: George K., of Dunn, North Carolina; Newett B., of Smithfield; Isabella, wife of J. C. Bingham, of Smithfield; Edward, of Smithfield; Miss Alice, of Smithfield; Louise, wife of F. H. Parrish, of Smithfield; Walter M., of Smithfield; Lewis I., of St. Paul; Lee W. of Kent, Louisiana; William H., of Dunn; and Hiram.
Hiram Grantham when a boy attended the Turlington Institute at Smithfield, and leaving that school he was employed in a drug store at Dunn, and while doing the routine service of a clerk in the store he studied pharmacy. Later he took a special course in pharmacy at Raleigh under W. M. Simpson and was granted a license as a. pharmacist in 1889. Mr. Grantham spent a number of years following his profession at Greensboro, and in 1900 removed to Red Springs, where he organized the Red Springs Drug Company. This continues a very prosperous business organization, conducting one of the best retail drug stores in Robeson County. Mr. Grantham in 1908 organized at St. Paul the Grantham Drug Company, which is also a live organization. Another addition was made to his drug interests in 1915 when he bought the Lumberton Drug Company, which is now conducted as the Grantham Brothers Company. In 1923 he bought the Pittman Drug Company of Fairmont, now conducted under the firm name of Grantham & Company. Mr. Grantham owned a drug store at Parkston, which he sold in January, 1925.
Mr. Grantham was a director of the Bank of Red Springs from its organization until 1924 when he was elected president of the Carolina Bank & Trust Company of Red Springs. He is also a director of the Dora Mill Company of Red Springs.
He belongs to the Rotary Club, the Knights of Pythias, and he and his family are members of the Trinity Presbyterian Church of Red Springs, in which he has served as a deacon for a number of years. He is a democrat in politics.
Mr. Grantham married, January 17, 1912, Miss Emma Brown, daughter of Frank Brown, of Salisbury, Rowan County, a farmer and merchant there. Mr. and Mrs.. Grantham have three children, Hiram, Jr., born in 1914; Reid, born in 1917, and Emma Brown, born in 1919, all attending school at Red Springs.