Edwin Sanders Smith
Is senior partner in the Raeford law firm of Smith & McQueen, his associate being W. B. McQueen. Mr. Smith has practiced in Hoke County since shortly after its establishment and organization.
This branch of the family has been prominent for several generations in the Cape Fear and Little River section of North Carolina. His great-grandfather, John Smith, came from Virginia prior to the Revolutionary war, establishing a home at Smithfield. He was a man of learning, dignity and wealth, and served a term as a member of the North Carolina House of Commons.
Farquhard Smith, grandfather of the Raeford attorney, established a home near the junction of Little River and Cape Fear River in what was then Cumberland County, now the extreme south- eastern part of Harnett County. Much of the land he appropriated and developed is still owned by some of his descendants, and his old house is still standing, one of the oldest places in this section of the state. It bears the scars of battle, many bullet holes showing in the timbers of the house. The region is still known as Smithville. On part of the original Smith land was fought the battle of Averasboro, the last engagement in the War Between the States. Nearby is the extinct village of Averasboro, at one time of such importance that it contested among the cities of North Carolina for the honor of the state capital. Farquhard Smith married Sallie Slocomb, whose grandmother was the famous Polly Slocomb of Bladen County, wife of the Revolutionary soldier Ezekiel Slocomb. Polly Slocomb was one of the heroines of the Revolution, and many anecdotes are preserved of her.
Dr. Farquhard Smith, father of Edwin Sanders Smith, was born in 1839 and was one of seven brothers who served in the Confederate army during the war. He had graduated from the University of North Carolina and after the war completed his course, in 1869, at the Medical College of South Carolina at Charleston. After practicing six or eight years in Johnston County he moved to Harnett County, where he was a hard working physician for over thirty years and greatly beloved for his generosity and devotion to duty. He retired from practice with an aggregate of thirty thousand dollars in uncollected ac- counts, which he never attempted to collect, and these represented only a part of his benefactions to humanity. Doctor Smith, who died at Dunn, North Carolina, in November 1919, married Elizabeth Sanders, who died in 1904. She represented the Sanders family, which at one time owned a large part of Johnston County.
Edwin Sanders Smith, son of these worthy parents, was born in Johnston County in October, 1873, but was reared in Harnett County. He was educated in the Little River Academy, spent four years in the University of North Carolina, where he was graduated with the LL. B. degree in 1897, and has now rounded out thirty years of successful law practice. He practiced at Maxton In Robeson County until 1901, when he removed to Dunn in Harnett County, two years later established his office at Lillington, the county seat, and in 1914 removed to Raeford, which a short time before had become the county seat of Hoke County. He owns the brick building opposite the courthouse in which he has his law office. He is a man of many interests, successful in business and his profession, and prompt to respond to the needs of his community.
Mr. Smith married Miss Mary McNair, of Rowland, Robeson County, who died in April 1912, leaving four children, Nathaniel McNair, Mary Douglass, William Curtis and Francis. Mr. Smith on March 10, 1918, married Miss Dixie McQueen, of Queensdale, Hoke County. Their marriage unites the Cape Fear River Scotch with the Scotch of lower Robeson County.