HENRY CLEVELAND TURLINGTON , M.D.
A member of the medical fraternity since 1913, Dr. Henry Cleveland Turlington has been engaged in the practice of his profession at Dunn for six years, during which time he has attained recognition in his calling and a substantial clientage. A close student of medicine and surgery and an industrious and reliable practitioner, his accomplishments are of a practical and solid character, and through their possession he has impressed himself favorably upon the community, where he is likewise known as a citizen of enlightened views and commendable public spirit.
Doctor Turlington was born August 28, 1888, in Sampson County, North Carolina, and is a son of J. Henry and Ida (Smith) Turlington, natives of the same county. J. Henry Turlington was an agriculturist by vocation and the owner of a well-cultivated and productive farm in Sampson County, to the successful operation of which he devoted his active years. He died November 11, 1917, Mrs. Turlington having passed away March 21, 1901. Henry C. Turlington attended the public schools of Sampson County and Mrs. Betty Wright's private school at Coharie, this state, and passed his boyhood amid the surroundings of his country home. Subsequently he was sent to Oak Ridge Institute, from which he was graduated with the class of 1909, following which he entered the University College of Medicine at Richmond, completing his course and being graduated in 1913, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. In that year he established himself in practice at Cooper, Sampson County, where h~ continued to carryon his calling until the entrance of the United States into the World war in 1917. He volunteered his services in the Medical Corps and was given a commission as first lieutenant, from which he subsequently was advanced to the rank of captain. Doctor Turlington went overseas with the Second Division and spent fourteen months in France, principally on the St. Mihiel and Argonne fronts, where he saw much active service, following which he accompanied the Army of Occupation into Germany and remained seven months. Returning then to the United States, he was honorably discharged August 17, 1919, from Camp Lee, Virginia. On resuming his residence at Cooper he found that in his absence his practice had gone elsewhere, and it was necessary for him to make a new start. For two years he continued his country practice at and about Cooper, and then, desiring a broader field, located at Dunn, where he has since followed his calling with constantly growing success. In January, 1926, in partnership with Messrs. Wilson & Lee, druggists of Dunn, he completed the erection of the Wilson, Lee & Turlington Building, at the corner of Broad Street and Wilson Avenue, and at this time the building is fully occupied, Doctor Turlington occupying offices Nos. 2, 3 and 4. He is a member of the Harnett County Medical Society, the North Carolina Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and is respected in the profession because of his sound abilities and high professional ethics. He also belongs to the American Legion and has several civic connections. While a stanch democrat in politics, he has not sought public honors or political favors. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
On June 2, 1923, Doctor Turlington married Miss Iris Odell Chappelle, daughter of Samuel and Lena (Howerton) Chappelle, natives of Virginia where Mr. Chappelle was a railroad man during the greater part of his life. Mrs. Chappelle survives him as a resident of Washington, D. C.
Doctor and Mrs. Turlington have one son: Henry Cleveland, Jr., born February 13, 1925. The pleasant family home is situated at 411 North Fayetteville Avenue.