The Farm Well
THE STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE: THE FARM WELL, BY
SUMMERVILLE EXTENSION HOMEMAKERS CLUB FOR HARNETT COUNTY HISTORICAL QUILT,
The Farm Well
systems for rural usage were non-existent when Harnett County was formed
in 1855, but the farm well was a source of life for every living
creature: for the family, for plants, for animals that tilled soil, for
animals raised for food consumption, for transportation, and also for
wells were not used for irrigation of gardens or cash crops, as rural
electricity had not been introduced to generate power. Consequently,
plant life, on the large scale, was dependent on rain from above.
wells were located near the barn that housed the animals, and, most of
the time, only one well was sufficient for the stock.
household usage another well was dug near the homeplace or incorporated
in a porch area of the house. Besides furnishing water, the well was
often used for food preservation by lowering containers down to the
water level by a rope and leaving the food for a selected time.
were either open or covered. Water was brought to the surface by wood or
galvanized buckets attached to each end of a rope or chain thrown over a
raised pulley at the top of the well and manually drawn. The frame of
the well was built of wooden boards, of any kind of wood that was
available. However, redwood, if it could be obtained, was the most
lasting. Seldom, if ever were the frames painted.
Written by: Evelyn
Summerville Extension Homemakers Club
Designed by Evelyn Byrd
Row 7 Number 34
applique: Evelyn Byrd