Gaelic Churches of Harnett County
Barbecue and Cypress Hill
STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE, GAELIC BARBECUE AND CYPRESS, FOR
HARNETT COUNTY HISTORIC QUILT BY THE WOMEN OF THE CHURCH AT BARBECUE,
Gaelic Church: Barbecue Presbyterian Church
Barbecue Presbyterian Church was founded in 1758 by the Scottish
Presbyterians who left Jura and Skye and the Presbytery of Inverary in
1739 to sail to America and North Carolina. It was Barbecue Church that
issued the first call in North Carolina to a Presbyterian minister, who
came and. settled in the area.
When Fayetteville Presbytery was organized, Barbecue left Orange
Presbytery to I become a member. In 1835, Presbytery would have
dissolved Barbecue but for the efforts of Reverend Colin McIver who
revived it. Barbecue was built on a foundation that has withstood fads,
"The Jerks" of the 1800, loss of members to daughter churches,
grouping with other churches, the depression, expansion and rebuilding,
and standing on its own.
Barbecue Presbyterian Church has stood for over two centuries continuously
serving its people, strengthening every phase of their being, and end
wing them with a rich Scottish heritage peculiar only to Barbecue.
Reverend Jam Campbell, a Gaelic Preacher, sent by the Synod of
Philadelphia, settled on the Cape Fear near Fayetteville land began
holding services at Bluff, Longstreet, and Barbecue.
A formal call was issued by those churches to Reverend Campbell.
He accepted and preached in Gaelic and English.
Under the direction of Reverend Campbell and the first elders
Gilbert Clark, Archibald Buie, Duncan Buie, and Daniel Cameron, the
first church, a twenty-seven foot square log building was built.
"The stranger!" was found frozen at the locked front
door. He was the first to be buried in the church cemetery, and the do
have not been locked since.
The first deed shows one acre of land on which the church
located; was purchased from John Dobbins, whose Ordinary was used by
the Revolutionary War, General Cornwallis and his troops camped on the
creek near the church. It is told that as the soldiers watched -the fog
roll in one morning, one said it reminded him of smoke rising from the
barbecue pits, thus the name Barbecue Creek; Barbecue Church was named
because of her location so near the creek. However, noted historian,
Malcolm Fowler, points out that there are land grants in early 1753 on
record naming Barbecue Creek.
The second church, a one room frame building forty-five feet by
thirty feet, was built.
Barbecue le Orange presbytery to become a member of Fayetteville
Fayetteville Presbytery met to dissolve Barbecue. It had lost so
many of its members to daughter churches in the area, but Reverend Colin
McIver said "No! No! I will serve it! Without money and price if
necessary!" The church continues today because of his dedication
The church rebuilt and repaired for a contracted cost of ninety
The Reverend an Daniel McBryde threatened to sue the congregation
is promised salary was not paid.
The second deed shows that three additional acres of land were
purchased from Hugh D, Cameron and others.
The third church, built at its present location, was one large
room, but with two separate front doors.
The first Youth group, Christian Endeavor, was organized. Inez
Campbell (Howard) was the first president.
The ladies auxiliary was organized. The Reverend E. B. Carr
was minister, and Mrs. Carr was the first president. She was followed by
.Anna C. Cameron, the first lady at Barbecue to serve as a president.
The dues for that year were ten cent per month. The auxiliary became the
Women of the Church in 1964, and the Presbyterian Women in 1988.
'The first Vacation Bible School was under the direction of Perry
H. Biddle, Sr. and Laura Shaw Atkinson (Cameron) of Flora McDonald
While the Reverend Biddle was minister, an addition of six rooms
was I begun and a silver communion service was placed in the Historical
Foundation at Montreat.
The first formal church wedding uniting Lucille Howard and Harold
The interior of the sanctuary was remodeled. Colored glass
windows, a net hardwood flop, new pews, and a double front door was
added while Reverend James A. Nisbet was pastor.
The first Honorary Life Membership into the WOC was given to Mon
H. Cameron. Others nave been: Virginia R. Cameron, in 1967: Addi H.
Cameron, 1970: Inez C. Howard, 1974: Margie H. Cameron, 1975: Hattie B.
Godfrey, 1977; Meta T. Cameron, 1978, Dannie H. Pace, 1979: Flora D.
Campbell, 1980: Naomi M. Cameron, 1981: Elois C. Kelly, 1982, Buna A.
Cameron and Allene C. Lyon, 1983; Carey W. Howard, Laura Shaw
Cameron, 1985; Mary Emily McCormick, 1987; Margaret Perry Knight, 1988;
Dorothy C. Hales and Helen R. Rogers, in 1989.
The Fellowship Hall and four classrooms were begun and finished
with brick exterior in 1957. The Reverend T. E. Nelson was Minister.
During the end Billy Shaw Howell's ministry, the sanctuary was
remodeled and enlarged by six pews, double center aisle were replaced by
one center aisle, and the church had a veneer of brick.
Under the direction of the Reverend James MacKenzie, the Heritage
Room was organized. "The Stranger's" grave was marked, a Charn
Cuimhne (Cairn of Remembrance) was erected on the site the first church,
and a Cemetery and Grounds Fund was set. The first gift to this fund was
given by Edna Cameron in memory of her husband John Monroe Cameron.
Construction f Barbecue's first manse was _begun.
debt free manse was occupied by its first full time minister, the
Reverend James Waldo Dodson.
manse was dedicated.
Barbecue participated in the making of "Valley of
Scot's," a film of our Scottish Heritage, the bicentennial of our
country and the 218th year of Barbecue was celebrated, Mrs. Eugene M.
Merchant, a Scottish lecturer, talked and showed slides of our Scottish
History, and the first church directory was compiled.
The first steeple was erected, the first Chrismon Christmas tree
was decorated, and the tennis courts and playground were prepared.
In June, the :steeple and playground were dedicated.
The first sermon by a lady minister was delivered by the Reverend
Anna Page Cameron, Barbecue's first missionary, left in August to
serve two years in Spain.
Laura Shaw Cameron was elected the first woman Elder and Alta
Warwick became the first woman Superintendent of Sunday School.
March: The parking lots were prepared for paving and completed.
6: The Reverend Peter Youngson of Jura, Scotland delivered the sermon
and showed slides of Jura.
Alta Warwick was elected as the first lady Deacon, a new organ
was installed, and additional acreage was purchased from Mrs. Dave
July 24: The new organ was dedicated. A recital was presented by
Walter D. Ross, Director of Music at the West Raleigh Presbyterian
Church, Raleigh, North Carolina.
31: The Reverend James Waldo Dodson, Barbecue's
full-time minister, retired from active service.
19- The Reverend David B. Sherrod was installed as Barbecue’s second
Glenda York Cameron spent nine days in the Dominican Republic. While
there, she ministered with kindness and love to the children at "Orfanato
en el Desierto" (Orphanage in the Desert), and witnessed to the
"street people" through nightly worship services. ,.-
Church records indicate that the five members of Barbecue Church
who have been members the longest period are as follows: Carey Howard,
Hattie Godfrey, and Elizabeth Bell, all of whom joined in 1923: Perry
Cameron who joined in 1924 and Pearl Howard who joined in 1925.
for over two centuries, has been led by "God's man at God's place
at God' s time"; and has felt the influence of each in some special
way. Names like McLeod, Crawford, McDiarmid, McDougald, McNair, McGeachy,
Bragaw, Carr, and Magee, with others have belonged to the guiding hands
at "The Auld Kirk." Barbecue has withstood the test Of! time.
She has gone from a one-room log building to her present structure, from
grouping with others and sharing their manse to her own manse and
full-time minister, from four elders to twelve; but she has remained
constant in the worship of God, and steadfast: in remaining
self-supporting in all of her programs. Truly, God is in this place.
Quilt square row 5, number 2, depicts two Gaelic Churches: Cypress,
upper left and the entrance or Barbecue, center in the middle of the
square. The applique and embroidery was done by three women of Barbecue
Church, Ellen Andrews, Dolly Rivera, and Zeta Ryks; designed by Evelyn
Barbecue prepared by: Norma Belt, Board Member Friends of the Library
STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE: GAELIC CHURCHES: BARBECUE AND
CYPRESS BY THE WOMEN OF THE CHURCH AT BARBECUE FOR HARNETT COUNTY
HISTORICAL QUILT, 1989
Gaelic Church: Cypress Presbyterian Church
design of Cypress Presbyterian Church on the Gaelic Church square is
like the church as it appears today. The entire square, representing two
Gaelic Churches, Barbecue and Cypress, was made by three women from
Barbecue Presbyterian Church: Ellen Andrews, Dolly Rivera, Zeta Ryks.
all members of the Women of the Church.
latest written account of Cypress Presbyterian Church, other than
sessional records, is one written by Dennis W. "Bud" Cameron
in the form of a small booklet for the one hundred and fiftieth
anniversary of the church's organization, 1826 -1976. Over the years
numerous histories have been written. but the earliest account, one in
particular, Dougal McLauchlin's Sketch of Cypress. 1§12, is
considered the oldest and most reliable source of information about the
first years of the church.
Church is located in Western Harnett on the border line of Moore and
Harnett Counties, in the Cypress and Beaver Creek area. No one knows
exactly when the name Cypress was given to the church, but Cypress
Church was mentioned in other Presbyterian records in 1826. The church
in its beginning was probably a frame structure as there were quite a
few sawmills in the area to prepare the timber. It has always remained
in its present location regardless of the several rebuildings.
to McLauchlin’s Sketch of Cypress, 1879, the church was built
in 1823. and rebuilt and enlarged in 1853." The earliest church
sessional books of Cypress that are available, date back to July 1,1833.
Cameron records in his booklet the following: "In 1823 a number of
families in the Cypress and Beaver Creek area began meeting in a house
on the hill in front of the present day church. These people were more
conservative than others. They were followers of Rev. Angus McDiarmid,
that great preacher, and leader of hundreds of Scots: The same McDiarmid
who had preached against the emotional revival of earlier years with
such passion. McDiarmid took his stand and the result was his expulsion
from the Orange Presbytery. Expulsion didn't stop McDiarmid. He and his
good friend Rev. Colin Lindsay, began a Presbytery of their own. They
organized several churches; Cypress was one of them. McDiarmid preached
several times in the house on the hill and then he preached on several
occasions in the newly built "meeting house" before his death
in 1827. Some of the first members of Cypress were former members of
Barbecue. Union and Longstreet, but most members came from Barbecue
Dougald McLauchlin was an elder in Cypress Church 1874 -1879. In his Sketch
of the "early years" he wrote an interesting account:
"Rev. R. H. Morrison supplied the church for one year, 1827. Rev.
Colin McIver supplied the church one year, probably the year of 1829. At
the time Rev. Robert Hall Morrison was supplying Cypress, 1826 -1827, he
was living in Fayetteville and serving as editor of "The Religious
Telegraph". A native of Cabarrus County. born 1798, he returned to
the Charlotte area after 1827, and helped organize Davidson College. of
which he was the first President from 1837 -1840. He died in 1889."
Dennis Cameron, in his booklet, gives an account of each ministers years
of service following that of Rev. R. H. Morrison, from 1827 to 1972,
when Rev. John Foy became pastor and was still serving at the time of
the 150th anniversary.
was small in number of members in its beginning and served an area of
about ten miles. Yearly, the community grew larger as a result of
continued settlement and large families. Cypress, as time went by,
organized three churches: Cameron Presbyterian, 1879 in Cameron, North
Carolina, Cameron Hill Presbyterian, 1894, Route 3, Cameron, North
Carolina, and Vass Presbyterian, Vass, North Carolina in 1911. From 1920
-1930 Cypress Church membership was around 200, but as younger people
left the rural area for jobs elsewhere the church membership dwindled.
Today the membership is less than 100.
the passing of years when each renovation was made inside and outside,
the structural design of the church outside has remained the same, it is
still a white clapboard building.
rebuilding the church in 1882, quite a few changes were made in the
interior. the pulpit area became a three sided extension in the center
of the north wall with a window in the two side walls; all other windows
in the church remained the same size and in the same location as they
appear today. At the turn of the century the church was heated by a wood
heater in the center of the church, toward the front, and lighted by
kerosene lamps on the walls and by two in the center hanging from the
ceiling. The tuning fork was the only musical instrument used before and
around 1900. Soon after, a reed organ was purchased, but no piano was in
use until 192.5. The present organ is a gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. E.
Parker in 1967.
a legacy in 1934, new windows, doors and locks were added. Electric
lights were installed in 1947 when REA placed power lines; classrooms
were added to the rear of the church in 1937. At a congregational
meeting, November 24, 1946, there was an affirmative vote to build a
vestibule on the front of the church with a small room on each side.
educational building across the road on the side of the sanctuary was
built in 19.57, twenty years later, for $12,000 (the old classrooms- .at
the rear of the church were removed, sold, and remodeled for a house).
The Educational Building included a fellowship hall, kitchen, two
bathrooms, six classrooms and a choir loft. Central heating was
installed in 1964, new lights in the sanctuary, 196.5, and central
air-conditioning in same, in 1970.
church steeple was built between 1946 and 1948, and houses a bell from
an old train engine purchased at Overhills the same time the vestibule
and the two small rooms were added at the front of the church. The later
addition is the covered porch with four columns bordered by iron
railings around the porch and down the steps to the entrance.
adjoining graveyard is possibly older than Cypress Church. Many of the
more ancient gravestones were made by George Lauder, of Fayetteville.
Lauder. a Frenchman, came to North Carolina to help with the stone work
on the rebuilding of the North Carolina State Capital after the fire of
1833. When Lauder finished the job, he moved to Fayetteville where he
opened up a marble works. The cemetery, with grave markers of all sizes
and design, from rocks, pine boards to granite, marble, tells much of
the history of the church people. Upkeep and maintenance today is
provided by contributions, memorials and bequests.
Cypress is one of the Gaelic Churches in Western Harnett, it would be
amiss not to mention the role the Scottish language played in its
beginning. In the earlier days of the church the entire service was in
Gaelic, but by 1829 the supply preacher Rev. Angus McCallum, was
preaching in English since he did not know Gaelic. The Rev. Evander
McNair, pastor of Cypress from 1833 until 1848, may have preached in
Gaelic as he knew the language. The Psalms of David set to either
English or Gaelic, would have been the songs sung and led by a presenter
since Psalm books were scarce.
Church has an active women's organization called The Women of the
Church, which was organized in 1932, with Mrs. Arch D. McLauchlin named
the first president. Not until 1955, under the presidency of Mrs. John
Baker did the group expand into two circles. Mrs. N. D. McFadyen became
president in 1975, and a third circle, begun in 1974, had become also
active by the church anniversary date, 1976.
on the eve of its' one hundredth and seventy-fifth anniversary, Cypress
Church today, 1992, has the same mission: the place where one may grow
in faith and walk with God. Its message is to share God's home and
welcome others. The long heritage has given character, and the church
stands as a monument to the faith of the founding fathers who came to a
wilderness to establish a church as a testament to this faith and God's
goodness. In the;-years to come, may it be the same!
Summary by: Evelyn
Coordinator, July, 1992
Church of Our Fathers in Commemoration of the One Hundred-fiftieth
Anniversary of the Church's Organization -1826 -1976
Written for: The
By: Dennis W. "Bud” Cameron
Quilt Square: Row
5 Number 27
Ellen Andrews, Dolly Rivera and Zeta Ryks