Norrington Elementary School

History of the Quilt

Objectives

Project Description

Evaluations of Accomplishments

Future Plans for the Project

Proposal Letter

Request to Commissioners

Biographies by Homemakers Clubs

Biographies by Friends of the Library

THE STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE, NORRINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, BY NORRINGTON EXTENSION HOMEMAKERS CLUB FOR HARNETT COUNTY HISTORICAL QUILT, 1989

Norrington Elementary School

Norrington Elementary School building, as it stands now, was the 3rd building constructed in the Norrington Community. This school building was constructed in 1923, under the Julius Rosenwald Fund. Julius Rosenwald was an American Merchant and philanthropist. He created the fund in 1917. He contributed about $63,000,000 to Negro education. The fund contributed to building over 5,000 schools.

The Superintendent of Schools, Byrd P. Gentry of Harnett County took a survey of our community and found that there were enough black land owners to support a school. The committee for the school at that time was composed of Joseph McNeill, Neal Elliott McLean, and Nathaniel Black.

John Rogers Elliott was the principal of the school at the time of the construction of the new building: in 1923. Two women teachers worked along with him, Hattie Harris and Narcise McLean.

One of the School Committee men, Nathaniel Black, would have sellings at the school to help support some of the activities of the school.

Former students fondly remember stage and outdoor productions at school closings, holidays, May Day, planting the May Pole, Hansel and Gretel, the Rhythm Band, outdoor activities with parents participating with baskets of food from their kitchens, county-wide commencement held at the county seat at the Shawtown School.

The competition was fierce in all activities, such as, Glee Clubs, Speaking, 50 & 100 yard dash speed, arithmetic, and spelling bees.

The first hot meal was planned by one of the teachers of that area, Annie Street Wright. Some one gave her a commercial stove for the school. She also had the insight to have running water put in one of It he cloak rooms, which was renovated into a kitchen.

Della McKoy and Sadie Campbell were Norrington School's first cooks. They served hot meals to about 90 students.

Pupils graduating from the 7th grade were permitted to march and receive a diploma.

 

Written by: Grace Black, Member

Norrington Extension Homemakers Club

Source: Personal Knowledge

Harnett County Board of Education

Quilt Square: Row 8, Number 41

Embroidery and Applique by: Grace Black member of Norrington Extension Homemakers Club

and: Nadine Gilbert McPhail for Norrington Extension Homemakers Club

Designed by: Tim Staten