Raven Rock

History of the Quilt


Project Description

Evaluations of Accomplishments

Future Plans for the Project

Proposal Letter

Request to Commissioners

Biographies by Homemakers Clubs

Biographies by Friends of the Library


Raven Rock

Raven Rock was originally called Patterson's Rock. In the 1740's, Gilbert Patterson who lived alongside the Cape Fear River near Buies Creek purchased land on the Deep River in what is now Lee County. He used a canoe to travel the river back and forth from the new plantation to the old. On one occasion as Patterson's canoe was smashed into the projecting rocks near Campbell's Creek, he was hurled against another rock breaking one of his legs. He managed to drag himself to shelter at what is now Raven Rock which at that time was closed at both ends and gave him protection from prowling wolves.

Patterson bound his leg with pieces of driftwood. On the

third day, a deer being chased by wolves crashed over the rocks in a broken heap near his shelter. For the next few days he survived by eating raw deer meat and drinking river water, until Indians canoeing up the river discovered him and carried him to his home in Buies Creek.

For more than a hundred years the area was known as Patterson's Rock until 1854 when the Cape Fear and Deep River Navigation Company built locks and dams on the Deep River. During this time. because of the fact that ravens roosted on the rock ledges, Patterson's Rock became Raven Rock.

In 1970 Raven Rock State Park was established and the

North Carolina Parks and Recreation Department began purchasing land in the Area of the Rock. It was the first park after the opening of Mount Mitchell Park, nearly 50 years earlier. At that time the 5,500 acres of land which comprises the Park in Western Harnett County was owned by the McKays, Cummings, Westers and Erwin Mills.

The Park is named after its unique formations of rock and large rugged masses of stone. They arch over the banks of the Cape Fear River to heights of more than a hundred feet. The mighty rocks hang over the riverbank in cliffs of layered structure consisting of limestone, quartz, sandstone and other varieties of rocks.

The rocks are metamorphic, meaning "changed in form" by the heat, pressure, stretching, folding and melting of the earth's crust of igneous and sedimentary rocks. Under this severe treatment new minerals are formed and the rock is hardened. Shale is hardened into slate, limestone becomes marble and sandstone becomes quartzite, one of the hardest rocks known. The outcome of the metamorphic process are the strata of granite and other crystallized mineral known as Raven Rock.

It is a one mile walk to the ledge overlooking the Cape Fear River. Wooden steps are erected to descend to the banks along the river. Large exposed beech tree roots are a familiar sight at the base of the rock. There are nature trails, jogging and hiking and horseback riding trails, camping areas and picnic tables. Flowers of many varieties abound: beech, birch, oak, dogwood and pines highlight the vast forest. The flora of the region is considered extraordinary. Within the boundaries of the Park exist endless varieties of plant life. During the year naturalists and rangers conduct nature study, plant life and bird watching programs. Other than a few things that have been done for the safety, enjoyment and comfort of the visitors to the park, everything has been left in it's natural state, free of commercialism. There are many thousands of people who visit the Park over and over again each year. The Park is located 10 miles west of Lillington, .3 miles North, off US Highway #421 North.

Written by: Selma Cummings, Member

Mamers Extension Homemakers Club

Sources of information: April 5, 1989 edition of the Harnett County , News and personal observation

Quilt Square: Row 8, Number 42

Embroidery and applique: Selma Cummings, Member

Mamers Extension Homemakers Club