Spout Springs Memorial United Presbyterian Church
STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE, SPOUT SPRINGS MEMORIAL UNITED PRESBYTERIAN
CHURCH U.S.A. 1867-1991, BY RAINBOW EXTENSION HOMEMAKERS CLUB FOR
HARNETT COUNTY HISTORICAL QUILT, 1989
Spout Springs Memorial United Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
to old records carefully searched and checked of almost one hundred
years behind us, we find that two of our most dedicated and courageous
forefathers, Mr. Jack Redding and Mr. Ned McGregor, felt a I great need
for a place in which to worship Almighty God. With their deep feelings
for others and themselves, they combined their spiritual and physical
strength thus laying a foundation for the Spout Springs Memorial United
Presbyterian Church in a small community known as McGregor Town, located
about three miles north of this, our present site.
their first structural foundation behind, they decided to move to a more
centralized location most suited for their mode of transportation. It
was here on this site that the first Spout Springs Presbyterian Church
was erected in the year of 1869 on what is now highway #24. This church
was used for Sabbath School and prayer services for a period of time.
Later they welcomed their minister, the Rev. Rattleford who served with
great enthusiasm and pride. With constant repair, the church building
stood for 95 years.
the year of 1962, under the leadership of Rev. Robert E. Stitt, Building
Fund Committee Chairman Sippio Barton, we the members of this church
felt a need for a better building to worship Almighty God. Determined to
make the past our heritage, the present our responsibility, and the
future our challenge, we organized and began our task. It was with hope,
faith, courage and prayer that we were able to open the doors of this
our new sanctuary in May, 1966. We feel that we, as well as our
forefathers, have been servants of God with a task well done. We fought
the battle of building this church and we through God's help have won
this battle. We hope that this battle may not only be a crown for us,
but for those who follow. The dedication was June 26, 1966.
December of 1985, the Pastor, officers and members organized a building
committee composed of the following persons: Sallie Graves, president;
Bobbie Gilchrist, secretary; *Joseph Washington, treasurer; Jackson
Brower; G. Myrtle Smith; Rev. C.O. Williams; Pastor Mary Arnold, Session
committee began making plans for a fellowship hall. The groundbreaking
ceremony was held. August 1988. Construction began September 1989 and
was completed June 1990. The hall was dedicated August 26, 1990. The
fellowship hall matches the cream stucco exterior of the church
Springs Memorial Presbyterian Church is incorporated with Lillington
First Presbyterian Church and Williams Chapel Presbyterian Church. There
are two pastoral Sundays each month and Church School every Sunday.
Working in union with the two churches has been very rewarding for the
church and for the community. Spout Springs Memorial Presbyterian Church
has three choirs and more than sixty members.
Quilt Square Row 2, Number 11, depicts the church erected in 1869, which
is still standing and located near the present one. Tyrone Street
designed the square for the quilt.
Pastor, C.O. Williams, together with the Presbyterian and youth
organizations are dedicated to the mission of reaching out to minister
to all persons in need, without regard, race, or circumstance, to bring
comfort and the word of God.
Redding, Ned McGregor, *Willie McRae, Harry Washington, Sr., A. A. Roan,
Harry Washington, Jr., Madison Brower, *Paul Washington, *Sippio Burton,
*Eugene Brower, *Sherman Stewart, *Naomi Cameron, *Joseph Washington,
Alford Fuller, Algia Dockery, G. Myrtle Smith, Luther Smith, Alice
Brower, Ethel Lucas, Sallie Graves, Marie Wilderson, James Wilkerson,
Alice Hamilton, Bobbie Gilchrist, Rosa Brower, Wilbur Brower, David
Brower, Hulan Brower, Mary Arnold, Rubin McCoy, Juliette McCoy, Bertha
Taliaferro, Jackson Brower, Mavis Fleming, Gertrude Stitt.
Rattleford, Montgomery, *Rev. Johnson, *Rev. Harper, *Rev. Bess, *Rev.
Moon , *Rev. Jamerson, *Rev. Peede, *Rev. Lewis, *Rev. Brown, *Rev.
Robert E. Stitt, Rev. Clemon O. Williams.
Washington, *Sippio Burton, *Justice McGregor, *Thomas Dockery, *Edward
Baldwin, Sallie W. Graves, Bobbie Gilchrist, Odell Cameron, Jackson
Brower, G. Myrtle Smith, Rev. C. O. Williams, pastor, Mary Arnold,
Session Clerk, and Laura Bell.
by: G. Myrtle Smith – Granddaughter of the late Jack Redding and Rosa
W. Graves -Great-granddaughter of the late Jack Redding
Rainbow Extension Homemakers Club
Square: Designed by Tyrone Street
2 Number 12
by: Harrington, Member
Extension Homemakers Club