Summerville Presbyterian Church
STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE SUMMERVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH BY SUMMERVILLE
EXTENSION HOMEMAKERS CLUB FOR HARNETT COUNTY HISTORICAL QUILT, 1989
Summerville Presbyterian Church
(Tirzah Church of 1811-1812)
in the year 1800 progressive Christian men and women, with vision, from
Barbecue, Bluff and Long Street Churches decided there should be a
Presbyterian Church in this section of Cumberland County.
in the Sessional Minutes of Tirzah Church 1811 -1812 we read:
the year 1811 -1812 a new Church was erected and organized at the
Blacksmith Spring: Viz Tirzah."
The "New Church" located about 175 feet east of this Church
was a large log building erected almost entirely by slave labor, and
many of the slaves were communing members of the Church.
Church was struck by lightening and destroyed, but the spring continues
to supply cool refreshing water for all who are thirsty.
name Tirzah appears several times in the Old Testament: once as the name
of a young woman, and often as the "Capital of the Kingdom of
wonders just what the founders had in mind when they decided to call the
"New Church" Tirzah.
present building was presented debt free to the congregation by ten
officers of the Church who each paid ten dollars to the contractor,
new Churches were erected and organized in adjacent communities faithful
active members of this Church were called into service nearer their
homes, the congregation became very small and the Church was dissolved
by Fayetteville Presbyterian in 1929.
Summerville Church was re-opened! On April 18, 1948 the Sunday School
was reorganized in the Sanctuary of the Church and the Church became the
focal point of the life of the community.
Church was reorganized on March 18, 1951.
At this time new families moved into the community joined the church and
became active in church and area organizations, in particular the Yows
and the Christians. Both families are also active in the Summerville
Extension Homemakers Club in which they have held and are continuing to
hold, offices and committee positions.
Women of the Church of Summerville Presbyterian Church was organized on
March 30, 1952.
a sense this, too, was a reorganization because "The Ladies'
Missionary Society," "The Neill McKay Foreign Missions
Society" and "The Pastor's Aid," served well in their day
- long before organized women's work became Church -wide.
Summerville Church was placed on the National Register of Historic
Places in April, 1985.
the years since 1811 -1812 the doors of this Church have been open at
all hours to welcome strangers as well as friends, and to renew old
ministers and members of the Church have always been ready to serve
where assistance was needed.
records, available at this writing, list the following names of
ministers who served from 1812 to 1852:
of these same names were repeated in the years from 1844 until 1852.
Records between 1852 and 1929 could not be found. Some members believe
they were accidentally burned after they were removed from the church to
a "safer place", but where? In the 1920's two noted ministers
are recalled by contributors: Dr. Joseph Kirkland Hall and a supply, the
Rev. J. F. Kirkpatrick.
first two years following the reorganization in 1948, the church was
served by supply ministers. The following ministers served during the
ten year span, 1948 -1958: * Rev. T. A. Guiton, *Rev. R. M. Phillips of
Erwin, North Carolina, who was called March 8, 1955 and also preached at
Cedar Rock Church, and Rev. Robert Mabson of Fayetteville, a Methodist
minister and Librarian at Methodist College.
Rev. Guy M. Morrow, a called minister, served from 1958 -1964. Others
after 1964 were: Dr. Frank Baker, Dr. Louis LaMotte, who came once a
month for eleven years, now living in Paxton, North Carolina, Dr. Lucy
Rose, Rev. Barbara Rodgers, *Rev. John P. Stephenson, Jr., Kennith
McKeithan - a "lay supply" for two years, and the Rev. Clark
Wiser, a called minister, who came January, 1991.
students who filled in since 1948 were: Gene Hager, James Donaldson,
Malcolm Bullock, John Handley, and Neil Bain.
Source: Review of
Summerville Presbyterian Church records by Mallie Yow, Member of
Summerville Presbyterian Church and Compiled by Evelyn Byrd, February,
1992. Both are members of Summerville Extension Homemakers Club,
Square: Row 1 Number 4 ,
and Applique by: Evelyn Byrd, member Summerville Extension Homemakers