The Dr. J.H. Withers Home
STORY OF THE QUILT SQUARE, THE J. H. WITHERS HOME, BY MAMERS
EXTENSION HOMEMAKERS CLUB FOR HARNETT COUNTY HISTORICAL QUILT, 1989
The Dr. J. A. McDougald Home
Home of Dr. J. H. Withers
In Upper Little River Township, Dr. J. A. McDougald, a bachelor, built
his unpainted two-story frame house. His home was built on a hill
overlooking McDougald bridge area. This house was built in 1860 before
the Civil War took place. It stands among giant oak, maple, pine,
walnut, and magnolia trees. This home has a very large yard in which
children of later generations of Withers would come on a Saturday or
Sunday afternoon to play tennis, croquet, pitch horse-she, etc. Many a
time the whole community would Come together at this home to have
ice-cream suppers and oyster suppers. Sometimes they would gather there
to raise money for the church. Needless to say, this home was the
gathering place for both young and older citizens of the community and
they were also church going people.
McDougald's niece married a Withers, passing the ownership of the house
into the Withers family.
J. H. Withers and his wife inherited the home and farm from Dr.
McDougald, then it was passed on down to Mr. Jim Withers from his father
Dr. Withers. Mrs. Jim Withers (Emma) was a native of Lincolnton, North
J. H. Withers was also the Clerk of Court.
was also a post office on the premises and behind the house, down the
hill a little, is an old Indian graveyard.
by: Dorothy Stewart, member
Extension Homemakers Club For: Mamers Extension Homemakers Club
Square: Row 4, Number 23
Applique by: Dorothy Stewart, Joyce Nordan, Dorothy Morrison and Sue
Crelia Members of Mamers Extension Homemakers Club