Historic Lillington

A tour of the town before 1950

  Library Home | Local History Page


 

Billy Ray Matthews and John Pat Hamilton remember businesses and homes in Lillington before 1950.

The authors have used the model of the 1915 Sewerage System map that is based on the original survey map drawn by J. A. O. Kelly in 1907. Some of the buildings designated on the map by hashmarks were standing in 1915. Some of these buildings were torn down and replaced, others are simply gone. These authors have no knowledge of what they might have been in 1915.

According to the Kelly Map of 1907, the town was approximately one mile square. It was laid off in square blocks with lettered streets running North and South and numbered streets East and West. Lillington’s Main Street was the convergence of four major highways: Hwy 421, Hwy 210, 27, and 15-A (later named Hwy 401). Coming south into town, from across the river and to the corner of Main and Front Streets, Highway 421 turns right and goes to Sanford. Highways 15-A (401), 210, and 27 continue through town. Highway 27 turns to the right at West Old Road (formerly known as Johnson Street and Johnsonville Road). Highways 15-A (401) and 210 continue a few hundred feet and then divide, with 15-A going to the left to Fayetteville, and 210 to the right going to Spring Lake.

Numbering scheme: The blocks have been numbered north to south on the west side of Main Street and lettered north to south east of Main Street. The authors have numbered the blocks to help with identification. Block 1 is the first block on the left when you enter town from the North. The old courthouse is on the corner of this block. Block 2 is across Front Street from Block 1. Each dwelling is numbered clockwise around the block for blocks west of Main Street beginning in the upper right corner when possible. They are numbered counterclockwise east of Main, also numbered beginning in the upper right corner when possible.

The photographs used to illustrate this publication have been generously lent by Donald Kelly, Billy Ray Matthews, Pat Sutton, John Pat Hamilton, Mark Ennis, Robert W. Winston, Frances Murray, Evelyn Byrd, Charles Terry Carson, Dorothy Pope, Linda Johnson, the Harnett County Library’s collection of the late Talbott Stewart, and others.

Disclaimer: The homes and their owners as the authors can remember them as well as the family members have not been researched, but are from memory. Any corrections, additions, deletions may be directed to the library.

This work is dedicated to those who planted the seeds that were to become Lillington and to those who continue to help our town grow.

Section 1     Blocks 1-4

Section 2     Blocks 5-14

Section 3     Blocks 15-32

Section 4     Blocks 33-65

Section 5     Blocks A-V

11/13/2003