Harnett County, North Carolina
Human Resources & Risk Management  
Frequently Asked Questions

QHow can I check the status of my job application?

Thank you for your interest in Harnett County employment opportunities. Applicants should expect a 3-4 week review period after a job posting has closed.

You can check the status of your application at any time by accessing your account with NeoGov.

QHow do I make changes to my health and/or dental insurance?

Under HIPPA and PPACA, employees may only drop or add dependents from coverage for one of the following reasons (qualifying life event):

1. Open Enrollment

2. Change in family status (marriage, divorce, birth of child, adoption of child, child ages off of coverage

3. Gains or losses in employment (spousal coverage, new employment, loss of employment or eligibility through employer)

4. Becomes eligible for, or loses eligibility for, Medicaid or State Children’s Health Insurance Program

Please come to Human Resources with a completed Health Insurance Change Form and evidence of your “qualifying life event”. This must be completed within thirty (30) days of the “qualifying life event”.

QHow do I change my beneficiaries?

Please complete the following forms and return to Human Resources:

Life Insurance Beneficiary Form

401k Beneficiary Form

457 Beneficiary Form

Retirement Beneficiary Form

Retirement Beneficiary Death Benefit Form

QHow do I change my tax information?

Please complete the applicable forms and return to Human Resources:

Federal Tax Form (W-4)

NC State Tax Form (NC-4)

NC State Tax Form (NC-4EZ)

QI have questions regarding retirement. What do I do?

Please schedule an appointment with Margie House (mhouse@harnett.org) to discuss retirement options. You may also create or log in to your ORBIT account to check basic retirement information.

QWhat is the difference between an HRA and an HSA?

An HRA is a Health Reimbursement Account. The County allots a certain amount of money that an employee can be reimbursed for qualified health expenses. An employee who carries any insurance other than what the County offers is considered an HRA participant. If the employee leaves employment with Harnett County, he/she would not be eligible for reimbursements for expenses incurred after the termination date.

An HSA is a Health Savings Account. The County deposits a certain amount of money into an account that belongs to the employee. The employee can also make contributions to this account (please check with Human Resources for specific conditions). An employee who only has insurance offered through Harnett County is considered an HSA participant. If the employee leaves employment with Harnett County, the HSA and any remaining funds in the account go with the employee.