Harnett County,
North Carolina

Social Services 

Adult Services


Protecting and Planning with Adults

Adult services provide assistance to promote independence and enhance the dignity of North Carolina’s older adults, persons with disabilities, and their families through a community-based system of services, benefits and protections geared toward meeting one of the following goals:

· To remain economically self-supporting

· To help older or disabled adults remain able to take care of themselves in their own homes

· To protect disabled adults from neglect, abuse and exploitation,

· To prevent or reduce inappropriate institutional care and placement by making home and community services available

· To help older or disabled adults secure appropriate placement in adult care facilities when it is in their best interest.

Services provided include:

Individual and Family Adjustment – Social work services to assist with problem situations and work with families to develop a plan to meet identified service needs. Services may include assistance with money management or providing information about nutritional meal preparation.

In-Home Aide Services - Provides elderly or handicapped assistance with cooking, laundry and light housekeeping based on the need and some personal care. In-Home Aide Services are provided to enable individuals to remain or return to their own home and community. Eligibility is based on the need for the service and not on family income.

Transportation - Available only to persons who receive the blue Medicaid card for medical purposes after a need for the service is established. Van transportation services to Duke, UNC Memorial Hospital, and Dunn Kidney Center are provided. Other vendor transportation services are also provided.

Adult Protective Services - Services to an adult 18 years or older who is disabled and is in need of protective services due to being abused, neglected or exploited by their caretaker.

Health Support Services - Offered to help with setting up doctor’s appointments, to assure appointments are kept, to make available to clients’ information and services that will help meet their medical needs.

Adult Placement Services - To help find appropriate placement in nursing and adult care homes and to work with client and family to ensure adjustment and assistance that might be needed after placement.

Enhanced Personal Care - Services provided to residents of adult care homes who need more than the basic care provided by the facility.

Information & Referral - This service provides information on services that are offered through the agencies and also on other agencies or organizations throughout the county or state.

Eye Care Services - There is a worker in the office two days a week to work with individuals who need assistance for eye care.

Intake Services - Provided to receive and work with persons when they first request assistance. Referrals are made to other agencies and services as needed.

Guardianship Services – Guardianship services involves legal proceedings in which the court declares an adult incompetent and another party is given responsibility for the adult's personal affairs and or property. Guardianship ends with the death of the incompetent adult or with a judicial restoration of the adult's competency.

Representative Payee Services - Our agency may serve as payee for persons who are not able to manage his or her money and need assistance. Normally these are people who have been referred by Social Security.

Special Assistance In-Home Services - The goal of this service is to allow individuals to remain part of the community and live as independently as possible by preventing placement in an adult care facility. Harnett County has twenty slots available for this service. The program is geared to aged and/or disabled adults with a total monthly income of $908.00 or less, and who are currently living in or at risk of living in an adult care facility. SA/IH assistance payments supplement income to help meet the basic needs of the person to enable him to return or remain at home.

Day Care Services for Adults – The provision of an organized program of services during the day in a community group setting to support adults’ personal independence and promoting their social, physical and emotional well-being.

To reach the Adult Services Intake Social Worker or to make a report of suspected neglect or abuse, please call: (910) 893-7500.

Related Links
Services for Elderly
NC Service for the Blind

Board of Commissioners
GIS Portal
Register of Deeds Search
Employee Information