Harnett County,
North Carolina

Tax Department 

Frequently Asked Questions

QWhat type of property am I required to list?

Real estate property is automatically listed, however you are required to contact our office with new additions or remodeling. Licensed motor vehicles are not required to be listed. Once you have renewed your license plates, the Department of Motor Vehicles will notify our office and approximately four months later you will be billed for the taxes. The items that you are required to list are: single-wide mobile homes, double-wide mobiles (if you or a relative do not own the land where the home is located), boats, boat motors, farm equipment ( if used for the production of income), four-wheelers, three-wheelers, and jet ski's. Businesses are required to list all equipment within their business.

QHow do I list my house which was still under construction on January 1st?
AYou would need to contact our office and inform the Appraisal Department of any changes or if you have received a listing form you can make notation on the back of the form in Section D.

QWhen is my listing form due?
AListing forms are due in our office by January 31st of each year.

QWhen do I receive my tax bill?
ATax bills are mailed July/August of each year and are due by January 5th of the following year. Motor Vehicle bills are mailed approximately four months after the license plate has been renewed.

QWho appraises my property?
AThe Harnett County Assessors Office has a staff of qualified appraisers who under the direction of the Tax Administrator places the value on all real estate.

QWhat is "fair market value"?
AThe price in terms of money that a property will bring if exposed on the open market, between a willing seller and a willing buyer, both of whom are fully informed of all the uses, advantages and disadvantages of the property.

QWho determines fair market value?
AThe Harnett County Assessors Office determines the market value by analyzing real estate sales transactions and comparing conditions of similar property which have sold.

QHow can I get a map of my property?
AIf your property has been surveyed and your map recorded, you can find the map located in the Register of Deeds. If a recorded plat is not available, the Land Records Office has county maps of all property in the County.

QHow can I get a copy of my deed or survey?
AThese documents can be found in the Register Of Deeds Office.
Board of Commissioners
GIS Portal
Register of Deeds Search
Employee Information