Harnett County,
North Carolina

Animal Services 

Contact UsCalendar

NC Wildlife Resource Commission

Spring has sprung and Wildlife have had young.............

Soon phones will be ringing with folks calling in about what to do with “orphaned” wildlife.

The best message:

“Leave it alone for 24 hours to allow the adult female to return.

Do not pick it up; do not try to feed it; leave it where it was found.”

It is best to leave wildlife alone

Capturing and handling young animals can stress them, sometimes fatally.

Young animals, if alone, are not necessarily abandoned. Many animals do not

stay with their young and only return to feed them.

Wildlife can transmit diseases, such as rabies.

It is illegal to keep wildlife without a permit.


Does hide their fawns while they feed. Although the fawn is alone,

the doe will return several times a day to nurse it, staying only a few


If you are concerned about a fawn, leave the area and return the next day.

Does are vary cautious and will not return to the fawn if they sense danger,

such as a person near-by.

If a fawn is in the exact location when you check on it the following day and

bleating loudly, or if a fawn is lying beside a dead doe, do not take the fawn

into your possession. To find a local permitted fawn rehabilitator, contact

the NCWRC at (919) 707-0050 or go to our website at: www.ncwildlife.org/injuredwildlife.aspx

Birds and Rabbits:

If the nest is close by, a young bird (nestling or fledgling) or rabbit can be put

back in the nest. The adult may return to care for it. It is a myth that adults

will abandon young that have been touched by humans. Do not try to

rehabilitate the rabbit or birds on your own, as this is not only illegal, but may

cause injury to the animal.

Other wildlife

For other species, if no adult returns or the adult female has been found dead, contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator at:


or call 919-707-0050.

Due to rabies concerns the newborn, young and adult of the following

species cannot be rehabilitated: coyote, skunk, fox, raccoon, and bat.

NC Wildlife Resources is just a click away

Furbearing wildlife causing

extensive property damage during the trapping season?

Contact a licensed trapper: www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/ContacaLicensedTrapper.aspx

& search by county and species.

Furbearing animals are certain wildlife species that can be trapped during the regulated trapping season.

For information on

species you can trap & trapping season dates go to www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/

Wildlife causing extensive property damage outside the hunting and trapping season?

Contact a Wildlife Damage Control Agent: www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/WildlifeDamageControlAgent.aspx

For tips on reducing conflicts with wildlife go to: www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/HaveaProblem.aspx

Found an injured or orphaned wild animal? For information and licensed rehabilitator contacts go to:


Problems with a

raptor, waterfowl or other bird species? All birds are federally protected. Call USDA Wildlife

Services at 866-487-3297, ext. 225.

Want to learn more about a particular wild animal species? www.ncwildlife.org/Conserving?\/Species.aspx

What is the Wildlife Damage Control Agent (WDCA) Program?

The WDCA program allows trained and certified individuals to issue wildlife depredation

permits to North Carolina residents having wildlife damage problems.

Depredation permits are needed to hunt or trap and lethally remove wildlife outside

of the season.

The NCWRC offers a WDCA workshop that provides you with the rules and

regulations that govern the WDCA program, information on euthanasia, safe

handling of wildlife, and a variety of other information that will be useful for WDCA’s. Agents must pass a closed book

Certification examination and a criminal background check prior to being certified. Once you have received your certification

in the mail you may begin operating in a WDCA capacity.

For additional information go to:

www.ncwildlife.org/ProblemWildlifeDamageControl/WDCAProgramWorkshop.aspxor call 919-707-0061

Attending a two-day workshop is a certification requirement.

Remaining 2014 workshops: June 11-12 (full)

October 8-9 (open)

Board of Commissioners
GIS Portal
Register of Deeds Search
Employee Information