Clerk of Court Responsibilities
Unlike Clerks of Courts in other states, our Clerk is a Probate Judge also.
The Clerk of Superior Court in North Carolina has four main responsibilities:
1. Probate Judge
2. Record Keeper
AS PROBATE JUDGE, THE CLERK:
- Determines what documents meet legal requirements for a Will
to be admitted to probate.
- Oversees administration of decedent's estates:
- appoints and qualifies personal representatives
- conducts hearings to remove personal representatives when asked
by interested parties.
- Conducts hearings to appoint and remove trustees under all types of
trusts when requested by interested parties.
- Conducts hearings to determine questions relating to administering
trusts to include construction of trust instruments.
- Conducts hearings in mortgage foreclosures.
- Conducts hearings to declare persons incompetent.
- Oversees administration of estates of minors and incompetents.
- Conducts hearings for division of land.
- Conducts hearings for adoptions.
- Conducts hearings for:
- claim and deliveries of personal property
- name changes
- legitimations of parentage
- selected matters for the Court involving civil cases
- uncontested divorces
AS RECORD KEEPER, THE CLERK:
- Is responsible for filing, processing, indexing and maintaining every
paper filed in all of Harnett County's criminal courts, civil courts,
domestic courts, juvenile courts and proceedings before the Clerk.
- Provides for public access to the court records and furnishes copies thereof.
- Is responsible to provide courtroom clerks for all sessions of court in
AS ADMINISTRATOR, THE CLERK:
- Manages thirty (30) employees who are responsible for assisting
the public in filing and accessing the court records and papers, staffing
the courtrooms and performing the many complex duties of the Clerk's
- Sets policies for operating the Clerk's Office and for conducting the
duties of the Clerk's Office.
AS COMPTROLLER, THE CLERK:
- Is responsible for receiving and disbursing millions of dollars each
year that come from court fees, traffic citations, fines, etc.
- Is responsible for receiving, investing and disbursing millions of
dollars for estates of minors and incompetents.