Harnett County,
North Carolina

Register of Deeds  Visit Register of Deeds on Facebook

Contact UsCalendar

Frequently Asked Questions

QDoes Harnett County Register of Deeds offer fraud notification?

The Harnett County Register of Deeds office is now offering a free Fraud Notification System to the public.  The service sends you an email notification when a document is recorded in the Harnett County Register of Deeds office that matches the name(s) you entered in the system. 

Harnett County Register of Deeds, Matthew S. Willis stated, “This is a free service that I have wanted to make available to Harnett County citizens since becoming the Harnett County Register of Deeds.  Recently, I made the tough decision to change our office software.  One of the important things to me was selecting a software that offered the Fraud Notification Alert System.”

To register for the Fraud Notification System, simply visit https://fraudalertme.com/HARNETTNCNW/FRAUDDETECTION.ASP

You may also scan the QR code directly from your phone to register.

If you need any assistance signing up for the free service, please do not hesitate to contact the Harnett County Register of Deeds office at (910) 893-7540.

Please note, this service does not give the Register of Deeds Office the authority to remove, revise or redact the document that has been recorded. It is only to make you aware that a document has been recorded in your name.

QDoes Harnett County Register of Deeds have a new fax number?

Yes. (910) 242-0009

QDoes the Harnett County Register of Deeds office accept checks for Vital Records?

Harnett County Register of Deeds does not accept personal checks for Vital Records. Forms of payment accepted for Vital Records – Cash, Money Order and Debit/Credit Cards.


QCan anyone access the information contained in the office of the Register of Deeds?

Yes. All information maintained in our office is public record, with the exception of military discharges.

QWhen can I record real estate documents? Is there an e-recording cutoff time?

Our office does not have a cutoff time to record, for walk-in customers. Please note, our office will need enough time to key in the document. If we cannot key the information before 5:00pm, it will have to be recorded the next business day. Due to the increase in the number of electronic recordings, there is an e-recording cutoff time of 4:45pm, that will be implemented beginning February 1st. 

QCan I electronically record all real estate documents?

Yes.  Our office accepts all document types through electronic recording.  This includes all real estate documents and plats.

QWhat size map/plat can I record in Harnett County?

We accept maps/plats that are 24x36, as well as, 18x24 for recording.  These are the only 2 sizes that we accept.

QWhat are the hours of operation?

Our office is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Hours of operation for a Marriage License are 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

QHow far back do Harnett County land records go?

Harnett County was formed from Cumberland County in the year 1855. Our office has records dating back to this time; however, fires in 1892 and 1894 destroyed many of the early records.

QHow can I obtain a copy of a document?

To obtain a copy of a document, you can come into the office, mail in a request or obtain it online.

For Real Estate documents, please use the following site. https://us6.courthousecomputersystems.com/HarnettNC/ If you need a certified copy of a Real Estate document, please contact our office.

To order a certified birth, death or marriage license online, please visit https://getcertificatenow.com/harnett


QDoes your office search titles? Liens or Judgements?

No. North Carolina General Statutes strictly prohibits the staff of the Register of Deeds from performing title searches. The individual or a legal representative may perform the search.

QHow do I add/remove/change a name on a deed?

Deed name changes require the submittal of a new deed to the Register of Deeds office. We suggest that you consult an attorney unless you are familiar with creating legal documents. The Register of Deeds cannot add or remove names from deeds.

QWhat is the revenue or excise tax calculation on a deed?

August 1, 1991 - current $1.00 per $500 or $2.00 per $1000

January 1, 1968 - July 31, 1991 $0.50 per $500

July 1, 1940 - December 31, 1967 $0.55 per $500 when exceeds $100

June 21, 1932 - June 30, 1940 $0.50 per $500 when exceeds $100

March 28, 1926 - June 20, 1932 None

December 1, 1917 - March 27, 1926 $0.50 per $500 when exceeds $100

September 9, 1916 - November 30, 1917 None

December 1, 1914 - September 8, 1916 $0.50 per $500 when exceeds $100

July 1, 1902 - November 30, 1914 None

July 1, 1901 - June 30, 1902 $0.25 for over $2,500 up to $3,000; $0.25 for every additional $500 greater than $3,000

July 1, 1898 - June 30, 1901 $0.50 for over $100 up to $500; $0.50 for every additional $500 greater than $500

QCan the Register of Deeds Office locate a property by address?

No, our records are indexed by name. You may contact the Harnett County GIS/Mapping department if you are looking for an owner by property address. (910) 893-7523 or https://gis.harnett.org/gisviewer/


QDo I need to file a Healthcare Power of Attorney in your office?

No. The North Carolina Secretary of State maintains an Advanced Healthcare Directive Directory. Please visit https://www.sosnc.gov/ahcdr/ for more information.

QHow do you search for a map online?

Go to the search page on the Register of Deeds website. https://us6.courthousecomputersystems.com/HarnettNC/  Click on Advanced

If you have a map book and page, enter those numbers in the corresponding fields on the search page.

If the map is a Plat Cabinet, enter PC#___ in the book field. The slide number will be entered in the page field with no space or dash between the number and the letter. Example: For Plat Cabinet C, Slide 123-B enter PC#C in the book field and 123B in the page field.


QWhere do I get a copy of a Will?

Wills are filed in the Clerk of Court's Office. Please call (910) 814-4600

QWhere do I obtain a copy of my Separation Agreement and Divorce records?

Divorce records are kept in the Clerk of Court's office. Please contact (910) 814-4600 or http://www.harnett.org/clerk/default.asp

If recorded, Separation Agreements can be found in the Register of Deed's office.

QHow do I register a business name?

After searching records to ensure the name you wish to use is not being used, please complete the proper Assumed Name form and subimt to our office for recording. These forms can be found online at https://edpnc.com/start-or-grow-a-business/start-a-business/business-forms/

Fees to record an Assumed Name are $26.00.

The Harnett County Register of Deeds office is pleased to announce the launch of a new service: My Business Name Registration. This service will allow residents to submit and file an Assumed Business Name without having to bring the original document to our office or sending it in by mail.

Simply visit https://www.getcertificatenow.com/ABN/Harnett and complete the 3 simple steps.

  1. Create the required information to file your business name
  2. Enter your credit/debit card information for secure processing
  3. Document will be filed and emailed back to you

This is just another service that I want to offer the citizens of Harnett County.  This will allow anyone to submit an Assumed Name Form from the comfort of his or her home or office without having to drive to our office. 

This electronic service will cost $41.00 to file electronically.  If you bring the document in to our office or submit by mail, it will cost $26.00.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (910) 893-7540.  We look forward to serving you.

QHow much do birth certificates cost?

If the person was born in Harnett County, a certified copy is $10.00.

Our office can perform a statewide search if you were born from 1971 to present. The cost for a statewide search is $24.00. If you were born in another county prior to 1971, you will need to contact that county for your birth record.

QHow do I get a birth certificate for a person that was adopted?

All birth records for adoptees are kept at North Carolina Vital Records. http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/

QWhat do I need to obtain a Marriage License?

Please click on the following link: Marriage License Requirements

An appointment is recommended to purchase a marriage license and both parties must appear.  Please complete the online application (Click here to apply for Marriage License) and then call 910-893-7540 to schedule your appointment.  Cash and credit/debit cards are accepted for purchase of the license.

QWhere can a marriage license be used?

Marriage licenses obtained from our office can be used anywhere in the State of North Carolina and only in the State of North Carolina. Licenses obtained from Harnett County must be returned to Harnett County.

The Harnett County Magistrate’s office will only perform ceremonies for Harnett County Residents until further notice.

Board of Commissioners
GIS Portal
Register of Deeds Search
Employee Information