Running for Municipal Office in 2021
Because 2021 is a year following the federal census, some municipalities must redistrict to correct population imbalances. Therefore, filing periods and election dates for district-based contests are subject to change as they are contingent on the timeliness of the U.S. Census Bureau releasing data and state and local governments adopting redistricting plans based on that data.
When do I file? Filing periods are set by § 163-291.
What are the qualifications?
What do I need to bring?
Campaign Finance Information
• Your first campaign finance disclosure report is due within ten (10) days of your organized date on your Statement of Organization.
• New committees: Treasurers must receive training within 90 days of appointment and once every four (4) years thereafter.
• Please use the free, state-provided campaign finance reporting software for all report filings. The software download is located on the NC State Board of Elections website.
• Existing candidate committees: Please ensure all information is current.
• Questions can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open seats and filing fee
(Filing fees will be added when confirmed)
Angier, Coats and Lillington Election Day November 2, 2021
$25 Angier Commissioner Ward 1
$25 Angier Commissioner Ward 3
$25 Angier Commissioner Ward 4, unexpired term ending 2023
$23 Coats Mayor
$15 Coats Commissioner (3 seats)
$25 Lillington Mayor
$25 Lillington Commissioner (2 seats)
$25 Lillington Commissioner, unexpired term ending 2023 (2 seats)
Session Law 2021-56 delayed the Erwin Town election until 2022.
Filing dates will be based on when redistricted maps are approved and will be posted as soon as possible.
Erwin Election Day March 8, 2022 Possible Runoff on April 26, 2022, or May 17, 2022 if a federal second primary is held
$ Erwin Mayor
$ Erwin Commissioner Ward 1
$ Erwin Commissioner Ward 3
$ Erwin Commissioner Ward 5