Harnett County is a diverse county sitting between Piedmont, Sandhills, and the Coastal Plain. Harnett County is home to 5 municipalities, Angier, Coats, Dunn, Erwin, and Lillington. Harnett County also expands to some residents residing in Fuquay Varina and Sanford. Harnett County is optimally located just between North Carolina's capital city of Raleigh and the internationally recognized Research Triangle Park to the north, and the nation's largest military installation in Fort Bragg to the south.
The Town of Angier was founded in the late 1880s as a strong trading and commercial hub within Harnett County, with a tagline of "village of opportunity" and known for its Crepe Myrtle festival, Angier is a full-service town located between the major cities of Raleigh (22 miles) and Fayetteville (37 miles), along with close proximity to Research Triangle Park and major Universities such as Campbell, UNC, NC State, Duke, and UNC School of Government.
The Town has grown from a 2010 estimated population of 4350 to today’s estimate of 6,100. The town operates under a Council-Manager form of government composed of a 5-member commission including the Mayor, who serve four-year staggered terms. The Board of Commissioners appoint a professional Town Manager to manage the day-to-day activities of the Town. The Town Manager and Town Attorney report directly to the Board.
The Town of Coats was chartered in 1905 and began with 700 acres of farming land and a general store owned by James T. Coats. Coats is home to North Carolina’s first licensed aviator, Alton Stewart, who developed his interest in flying at Camp Bragg’s Pope Field, during World War I. The Town of Coats is a town made up of individuals who have lived here for generations and many newcomers who find it home. We invite you to visit us to learn more about our Town of Coats. Our small population of 2,074 citizens allows for comfortable living and an escape from congestion.
The City of Dunn is settled on the eastern end of Harnett County, we are conveniently located in one of the Nation's fastest growing regions, but we still maintain our rich, small-town charm. Our rural heritage is on display all around us in the fields of cotton, old tobacco barns, and active railroad that put us on the map.
The Town of Erwin stretches back to colonial times through its connections to the nearby colonial settlement of Averasboro. Originally, the town of Erwin was known as Duke, named after the Duke family members who were prominent stakeholders in the newly constructed Erwin Cotton Mill, completed in 1904. Later, in 1926, when Trinity College in Durham, NC, became Duke University, the town’s name was changed from Duke to Erwin. Today, Erwin is a thriving town with new business opportunities and a valued quality of life.
The Town of Lillington was chartered by the State of North Carolina on March 4, 1903. the Town of Lillington was established when the Harnett County Commissioners purchased 100 acres of land near a ferry crossing on the south side of the Cape Fear River. Lillington is a growing community in the heart of Harnett County, NC. The town serves as the county seat and has approximately 4,000 residents.